National Psychosocial Support Measure program (NPSM)
The National Psychosocial Support Measure (NPSM) is a free program for people with a severe mental illness, who haven't been able to access NDIS supports.
The program provides short-term coaching support to eligible participants, to build skills to manage their mental illness, improve relationships and social connections, manage finances and whatever they need to achieve your goals.
This is not a clinical service.
How does the National Psychosocial Support Measure program work?
NPSM offers one-to-one coaching that supports the recovery of people with enduring mental illness. Sessions are fixed at 10 initially, with a process of team review for extension for a further five sessions. Our focus is your recovery – each session is goal-oriented and person-centred.
You will learn strategies and develop skills that help you:
- Identify your strengths
- Connect to a social network that will improve your wellbeing
- Build resilience to achieve your goals
- Connect with family or your community
- Enjoy a full and vibrant life
- Explore accessing the NDIS
Your psychosocial coach will help you build the confidence and skills to live the life you want.
They will support you to:
- Look after your mental and physical health
- Develop a recovery plan
- Achieve your goals through face-to-face and phone coaching
- Reduce your need for hospital services
- Reach out to the people in your life who can support your recovery, such as your carers or family members, your GP, services in the community and other health professionals
Where can I access the National Psychosocial Support Measure program?
NPSM is available to participants in the following areas:
How do I access the National Psychosocial Support Measure program
To be eligible you need to:
- Have a severe and persistent mental illness
- Not be currently supported by the NDIS
You can self-refer into the program or be referred in by your GP or community support, just complete our referral form.
Once your referral is received, a member of the team will be in contact with you.
- Call 1300 402 585
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read our factsheet for referrers
- Read our factsheet for participants
This service is supported by funding from the Western NSW PHN through the Australian Government's PHN program.