The Youth Plus clinic is a brief intervention service available in the Lithgow area, that offers young people aged 12-25, who are in crisis, a set of specific individual appointments.
During these sessions, a clinician will talk with the young person and provide support, help navigate their way through the crisis, and link them into further services as needed. Youth Plus provides support for young people experiencing:
- Impulsive and self-destructive behaviour
- Changing emotions and strong, overwhelming feelings
- Problems with identity and sense of self
- Thoughts and feelings of suicide and self-harm
This is not an emergency service – if a life is in danger, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
How does the Youth Plus clinic work?
Once a referral is received, our team will aim to offer an appointment within one to three working days. The program includes:
- An initial assessment
- Three to four sessions with a focus on identifying and addressing psychological and lifestyle factors that contributed to the crisis
- An additional session for carers, partners and family members
- Referral to other internal and external services
How do I access the Youth Plus clinic?
The Youth Plus clinic operates each Thursday from 9am-6pm at the headspace Lithgow centre. To access Youth Plus, young people must:
- Have not had more than six months of previous mental health treatment for the presenting issue
- Be willing to engage in weekly sessions
- Not meet criteria for NSW Communty Health or Child and Adolescent/Youth Mental Health service
The clinic is not for young people with:
- Evidence of psychosis, disordered eating, primary alcohol/drug dependence disorder, suicidal ideation with plan or intent, significant current self-harm or risky behaviour
- Complex issues requiring case management
- Call 02 6352 7600
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
This service supported by funding through Wentworth Healthcare, provider of the Nepean Blue Mountains Primary Health Network as part of the Australian Government’s PHN program.