Courses for mental health staff
We offer short to medium length courses for mental health staff, people supporting someone with mental health concerns, or anyone interested in mental health.
These evidence-based workshops provide upskilling approaches to client or participant treatment; assisting health professionals in the management of mental health concerns or escalating situations.
What courses are available?
We can deliver the following training:
- Supporting Cognitive Function and Recovery training – Aimed at clients, carers and direct care workers engaging with people who have complex mental illness and/or cognitive challenges. It concentrates on the role of taking in, processing and acting on information (cognition) in recovery; the things that hinder and help cognition, and how we can support a person’s cognitive function and quality.
- Personal Safety and De-Escalation – Learn how to prevent and reduce the level of conflict between people by focussing on the verbal, behavioural and psychological strategies that drive interaction.
- Motivational Interviewing – This training strengthens motivation towards a specific goal by eliciting reasons for change. Learn the key to rolling with resistance towards change, in an atmosphere of acceptance and compassion.
How do I access the courses?
Each course is available online (for groups up to 12) or in person (for groups up to 16 people) across NSW. Course duration and costs are as follows (tailored options available):
- Supporting Cognitive Function and Recovery – from $1,200 +GST per group. This is a six-hour course however it can be split into two sessions if preferred.
Personal Safety and De-Escalation – $700 + GST per group, three-hour duration.
Motivational Interviewing – $700 + GST per group, three-hour duration.
All courses require active participation, certificates of participation provided on completion.
About the trainer
Tim Carr, Marathon Health Training and Engagement Officer, has qualifications in both direct care, and management in community and sub-acute mental health settings. Tim has experience with clients who have severe and enduring mental health concerns and associated behaviour.
Tim has 12 years of experience in the mental health and wellbeing industry.
Tim Carr is an Accredited Mental Health First Aid master instructor. This means he is recognised by MHFA Australia as having extensive experience delivering MHFA courses.
“Tim was an amazing facilitator with a professional approach, but delivered the course with a friendly stress-free casual approach. He was awesome,” – Training participant.
- Call 02 6826 5200
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org